The City Palace was built by Maharana Udai Singh in 1559 when he moved the capital of Mewar from Chittor to Udaipur. It is located on the bank of lake Pichola.
The city palace complex is vast with many palaces which were added by the successors. It will easily take 1-2 hrs to have a quick tour of the palace. We hired a guide who took Rs 200 to give us a tour of the palace.
The entrance ticket for the palace is Rs 100. The timings are 9:30am to 5:30pm. Try to reach early as the crowd soars with time.
Insignia of Mewar dynasty which consist of Sun, Bheel warrior, Rajput warrior, Chittor fort and a text which says
Jo Dridh Rakhe Dharm Ko Tahi Rakhe Karta(Those who protect the faith are protected by the God).
Ganesh Deodhi, a marble idol of Lord Ganesha with glass work around it. The idol was built by Rana Karan Singhji in 1620.
An old gun on display accompanied by the following text:
Victory or death in battle has always been the religion of the Rajputs, from time immemorial, it is his character that he knows no fear
Maharana Pratap on Chetak riding to the battle of Haldi Ghati 18th June 1576 A.D. Painted by Chaturbhuj.
Maharana Pratap was so powerful that with one mighty stroke he cut the Mughal officer Behlol Khan and his horse into half.
A scene depicting the battle of Haldighati (18th June 1576 A.D.) between Maharana Pratap and the Mughal forces led by Raja Man Singh. Painted by Chaturbhuj.
The chetak gallery. Here statues of Maharana Pratap and his favorite horse Chetak with full armor is displayed. A peculiar thing you will note is that everywhere Chetak is depicted with a false elephant trunk. This was done so that the elephants from enemy side do not attack Chetak considering their own.
Raj Angan (Royal Courtyard) was built by Maharana Udai Singh in 1572. From here the King's proceedings were carried out.
Maharana Fateh Singh on horse Man Pyara crossing a river in flood near Amba Mata temple Udaipur 1866 AD. Painted By Shiv Lala, 1893 AD.
Badi mahal is the highest point in city palace. The city palace is built around a hill so you can see the ground here with tall trees and garden.
The fountain with the bird cages hanging from the ceiling. This is the place where Mahrana rested in hot afternoons.
King Edward the VII of England sent two thoroughbred horses
Expert(left side in the above photo) and
Red lad(right side in the above photo) as a present to Maharana Fatesh Singh on 1st Septemeber 1909, as a mark of great regard for him.
On 12th December 1911 King George V during his visit to India held a Darbar(Court) at Delhi to which all the ruling prices of India were asked to attend. A special chair (shown above in the center of the photo) for each ruler according to his status was placed in the court. Maharana Fateh Singh defied the directive and did not attend the darbar.
This photograph of the last elephant fight in 1951 at the Agad(wall) near the Tripoliya has been taken from the Hawa Mahal side.
Rana Ari Singhji with his ladies at Jagmandir Udaipur 1767. It is the oldest of the lake palaces of lake Pichola. It has been the favourite pleasure resort of the Maharanas. The island was at different times the refuge of the future emperor Shah jahan when in Revolt against his father Jahangur in 1623 and of British women and children from Nimach cantonment who were given protection by Maharana Sarup Singhji at the time of the 1857 sepoy mutiny. Painted by Jiva.
A closeup of the above painting of Jag Mandir. Notice the persian wheel at the top left corner used for irrigating the garden. Painted by Jiva.
Dilkhush mahal was built in 1620. It has a chamber Kanch ki burj which is made of glasses and mirrors.
Chitran ki burj the other chamber of Dilkhush mahal has walls decorated with paintings of life in Udaipur palace and city during the reign of Maharana Bhim Singh (1778-1828).
Vani Vilas- On 10th February 1875 Maharan Sajjan SIngh established the first special library in Udaipur And Kaviraj Shyamaldas sat here and wrote
Veer Vinodthe history of Mewar.
The palaces used to be den of plots and conspiracies and in the event of an enemy attack or a coup these narrow stairs would have impeded the progress of the enemies.
Moti mahal was built by Maharana karan Singh in 1620. The walls are decorated with various colored glasses and mirrors.
Maharana Bhupal SinghJi (1930-1955 A.D.) he was the first ruler to sign the instrument of accession to join the Union of India in 1948. Due to his pre-eminent position among all the rulers of Rajasthan he was appointed the Maharaj Pramukh of the newly amalgamated state of Rajasthan. The embossed relief work in Surya Chopad was carried out during his reign. The gold plated Sun emblem was also made during his time. In 1938 a lift was installed in the palace for his use as he was physically challenged.
Surya Chopad - the Sun emblem molded in copper with gold polish. Mewar royals belong to the Sun dynasty.
Mor chowk is the most spectacular courtyard in the city palace. It has many peacock (
morin Hindi) mosaics decorated with colorful glass and mirrors.
Private chamber of Rajmata Shri Gulab Kunwarji (1928-1973). One of the few less decorated rooms in the palace.
The palace calendar 1988. Shri EklingJi (A manifestation of Shiva). Presiding diety of the house Mewar.
Zenana mahal (Queens palace) ladies and gents quarters used to be seperate in the Indian palaces. The courtyard of Zenana mahal is now used for royal weddings.
The social media buttons are just below:
Please Share, Like or Tweet now :)