I never thought that after buying a monitor I will be writing review of a computer table instead.
When I decided to buy a 27inch monitor I did not realize that it would not fit in the cove of my computer table where my previous 24inch monitor cozily lived in.
I work for long hours on computer so ergonomics is a must for me. Few things I was specifically looking in my new computer table were a large keyboard tray so that I could place the mouse beside the keyboard and empty space under the desk to stretch my legs while sitting.
I do most of my computer shopping online but buying furniture on internet was new for me. I did not want to make a mistake by just digitally analyzing the product so I did what we mortals do usually. I went to Kirti Nagar, New Delhi furniture market, claimed to be the largest in Asia.
I was sure that I would not come back empty handed. Alas!! I came back only with few sleepwell pillows which I bought just to save this trip turning into an utter failure. Kirti Nagar disappointed me the same way Nehru place disappoints me now for computer items. There are 100 of shops but all are selling the same range and variety. If your requirement is even slightly specific it will be hard for you to find it.
Most of the shops had very small range of computer tables and those were of either low quality or not meeting my requirements. Many shops offered to build a customized one but I was not interested.
I thought to take my chances and came back to the place where I always rely upon, online shopping. Before I write on my shopping experience I would like to share some knowledge. Online furniture shopping has four important aspects:
- Design: This is visible in a photograph and you might find it easy to shop online as you can go through and come back to the photographs at your leisure. Also you can view the furniture from angels which might be practically difficult in a shop.
- Size: Please be sure to check the size under specifications. In photographs the size of an object can look different depending on the angle of shoot.
- Color: Looks can be deceptive. If you are buying the furniture to match the interiors, careful about the color you see in photo. Sometimes due to light the texture changes drastically. Try to read the color under the specifications and compare with other item colors posted on same online shop.
- Quality: We don’t have many popular brands (Ikea might be coming soon) so usually we end up buying furniture from local manufacturers or get them built by carpenters. The quality of wood used is very important. There are three type of wood – Solid wood, Plywood and Compressed wood. Solid wood is as simple as cutting a tree and making the furniture out of it. Plywood is layers of wood (usually three) joined together. Compressed wood is chips, sawdust and particles highly compressed and glued. Most of the online shops offer compressed wood (also known as engineered wood, particle wood etc) furniture. It’s cheap but the drawback of compressed wood is that it is not as tolerant to the abuse as solid wood furniture.
I explored two websites Fabfurnish.com and Pepperfry.com. Both had good range of computer tables with reasonable price. Fabfurnish sell their in-house furniture brand FabHome while Pepperfry is a retailer. In the end I chose Fabfurnish.com Fab Home Aura Study Table because of the following reasons:
- It met my exact requirements. There was a large 29 inch keyboard tray where my keyboard and mouse could easily fit in. The space under the table was empty so that I could freely move my legs.
- The product specification page was fantastic. It showed the item from every angle possible and with illustrated dimension of various parts. They also provided 360 view and assembly video.
- They were offering Rs 1200 discount coupon on registration. I used this coupon to bring the price further down to Rs. 6040 from Rs. 7240
- They are Gurgaon based (where I stay) so it would have been easy for me to pursue them in case of any issue. Also it meant shorter dispatch time and less time in cargo transit. The product was their in-house brand so that was another plus.
- They provide 6 months warranty and after that services are at nominal charges.
- FabFurnish has part payment feature where you can pay only some part of the total payment and rest can be paid in cash at the time delivery. There is some extra charge for this but I chose this method as it was my first purchase with them.
- They were providing free on site assembly.
If I have to put my experience with FabFurnish in one word, I would say “perfect”.
The product was delivered by hand on the 5th day of placing the order. I think the time they ask for is 5-10 days. The delivery person called me beforehand and asked me what time would suit me.
The next day after delivery I got a call to schedule the assembly. The person who came to assemble the furniture took great care to put the parts together.
I have been using this table now for a few months. The finishing is excellent with the round edges and smooth surface. It is a heavy table and gives sturdy feel. I liked the portable trolley for the computer cabinet because putting the cabinet under the table kills the leg space.
I am very happy with my decision to go with Fabfurnish.com and my best wishes to FabFurnish.com team to keep up the good job.